Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Can Feel A Hot One...

Alright, so as I promised upon creating this blog, I shall now recommend what will soon be your new addiction.

MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA



I was first introduced to this band by a good friend of mine, and ever since he handed me that bright pink burnt disc (NOTE: BUY DON'T BURN! SUPPORT THE ARTIST!- and yes I did end up buying the album) I instantly fell in love. This indie rock band was formed in Atlanta Georgia in 2004, however it was not until 2007 that their debut album I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child, was released. Since then their fan base has been spreading rapidly, and if I had it my way the whole world would know about these guys. Singer Andy Hull's voice is incredibly distinctive, and his lyrics are catchy as hell. The song Wolves At Night starts out to the sound of drum sticks counting the band in, which is quickly followed by upbeat drumming and intense guitar riffs. By the time the vocals start, the song is already a hit. In fact, someone in the video game world liked this song so much that they made sure it appeared on NHL '08. My personal recommendation off this album if you're going to take the time to check them out, is a song called I Can Barely Breathe. This is the song that captured my complete undivided attention. This is how I came to love Manchester Orchestra.




Then, at a time when I thought my life was complete thanks to have being introduced to Manchester who were in all aspects perfect (and I realized that then you were perfect), they released Mean Everything To Nothing and somehow managed to outdo themselves. This album has played more time in my CD player than any other album to date. EVER. COMBINED. I could recommend a particular song to check out, but that wouldn't be fair considering the album in its entirely is astonishing. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE EVER GOING TO DO ANYTHING I SUGGEST, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM-- I PROMISE YOU, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. Opening with The Only One, composed of an alternative country sound, the album then bursts to life whilst exploding into Shake It Out which consists of power chords and angsty lyrics. This album is totally all over the place in terms of sound. The song In My Teeth has been compared to the grunge sounds of Nirvana, while The River creepily resembles the voice of Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. The song 100 Dollars is strongly comparable to the sounds of Neutral Milk Hotel, yet is nonetheless still a wicked authentic song. TWO ABSOLUTELY MUST CHECK OUTS ON THIS ALBUM ARE "Pride" AND "I Can Feel A Hot One." Pride is definitely one of the heavier tracks on the album, the combination of guitar and vocals create a grave southern rock vibe. On the other end of the spectrum, I Can Feel A Hot One was played on an episode of Gossip Girl...(ha..I think this song is too good for that kind of a reputation...) The first time I heard I Can Feel A Hot One was last winter. I was sitting on my friend Ted's bed after experiencing what at the time felt like the end of my life. The song came on, and I was honestly so completely moved by it that I had to leave. I remember getting up, putting my shoes on and running down the street through the snow just so I could get home and listen to it again and again and again. I can't really put into words what it did or how, but then again, that's the magic of music isn't it? If songs are not meant to move us like that, then what is the point in even listening? Even after all this time, that song still gives me goosebumps... the build up...the lyrics...the violin...it is a masterpiece. I swear by that.

Anyways, I'll post the link to the Manchester Orchestra website where you can find all their videos and a bunch of other sweet stuff so seriously check it out!



http://www.themanchesterorchestra.com/ca


AND for those of you who are already familiar with these guys, just an FYI that they will be opening for Brand New this Friday night at the Fillmore in Detroit, tickets are available at Livenation.com

I WILL BE THERE, AND YOU SHOULD ALL GO TOO!

Well folks, I really hope you enjoy this band as much as me, and as always leave me some feedback on what you thought.

lovelovelove, jessspoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment