Monday, September 28, 2009

SICK + UNINSPIRED!

Dear Blogspot,
Why must I get sick on what seems like the busiest week of my life? I mean, I only have 3 papers, 3 blogs, and 2 tests to do.. ON TOP OF packing everything I owe up into boxes to move on Thursday, working anddd going to Detriot to see MANCHESTER ORCHESTRA WITH BRAND NEW. What's that you say? DEATH CAB CURES ALL?
I think so.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Death Cab For Cutie pleaseeee get to know them as they will most likely be coming up frequently in my blogs seeing as they are my all time favourite band.

So, after an eventful weekend which included drinking my body mass in Gin, attempting to make Veggie Thai Burritos the same way as Prince Als does, The Wortley Roadhouse, a crazy walk home, a hungover twelve hour shift then doing it all over again at a birthday kegger, it is no wonder my immune system finally caved and let this cold I have been fighting all week get the best of me. So this morning when I woke up to being voiceless and shivering with a pounding headache, I can't really say I didn't see this coming.

In between periodic naps, large doses of cold medication, and attempting to get some school work done, the one and only thing that makes me feel better is my Death Cab <3>

I drove out to Ohio last summer to see Death Cab For Cutie, it was perfect. I managed to miss them everytime they came to Toronto, it was like the universe did not want me to ever encounter their shows. BUT THEN, I realized why I hadn't gotten the chance to experience what was to be one of the best moments of my life- IT WAS BECAUSE I WAS MEANT TO WAIT FOR CLEVELAND OHIO! On a warm summer night in June, on a dock in the water, with lights reflecting and the stars glowing... out they walked. Ben Gibbard. Chris Walla. Nick Harmer. Jason McGerr. I have never in my entire existence felt my heart beat so fast. They played a set that I couldn't have perfected myself. Even trying to write this now I'm speechless (not even from all the cold medication I am jacked up on) but just thinking about that show is pure bliss. Actually now that I think about it, that entire trip was amazing. Cleveland is an absolutely beautiful city and if you ever have the chance to visit, I highly recommend it. While you are there make sure you check out the Rock n Rock Hall of Fame (that alone was worth the trip there) and what better way to end the trip off then getting dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, I mean, why not stick to the theme? BESIDES, THE CLEVELAND HARD ROCK CAFE IS WAY BETTER THAN THE TORONTO ONE!

Last April I lucked out and got to see Death Cab again in Toronto. Again amazing, but it was no Ohio. Anyways, I'm going to keep this one short seeing as I need to rest up and hopefully make it to campus tomorrow. BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL BE GETTING A MUCH BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW INCREDIBLE DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE IS ONCE I HAVE THE ENERGY TO PROFESS TO THE WORLD MY UNDYING LOVE FOR THIS AMAZING BAND... but in the meantime if you need something to make you realize the world isn't as f***ed up as you think it may be, check out some death cab, you won't be disappointed (unless you choose their latest album Narrow Stairs, but we will talk about that another time). I will however leave you with some pictures from the show in Cleveland, and lyrics as well :)
Goodnight world <3
-jessspoto
And when i see you
I really see you upside down
But my brain knows better
It picks you up and turns you around
Turns you around, turns you around
If you feel discouraged
That there's a lack of color here
Please don't worry lover
It's really bursting at the seams
Absorbing everything
The spectrum's a to z
This fact not fiction
For the first time in years
And all the girls in every girlie magazine
Can't make me feel any less alone
I'm reaching for the phone
To call at 7:03 and on your machine I slur a plea for you to come home
But i know it's too late I should have given you a reason to stay
Given you a reason to stay
This is fact not fiction
For the first time in years

2 comments:

  1. Yes Death Cab! Plans is one of my favourite albums of all time. Seriously. I actually blogged about Death Cab for one of my first blog posts... find it here: http://listenx3.blogspot.com/2009/09/death-cab-for-cutie-transatlanticism.html

    I feel like our blogs will get along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you described the concert experience... its exactly the way I feel when I see my favorite bands on stage. The atmosphere, the adrenaline, its all surreal. But it all works together to build the memory of that unforgettable day. Death Cab is an awesome band for sure, and the way you write about them in this post only increases my appreciation for them!

    ReplyDelete